Dev Kit feedback/issues

I split this topic from the Dev Kit quick start so that we can keep instructions and feedback separate. If you have a Dev Kit, please discuss issues and feedback here.

@davidbivins Great to hear that you received yours. We are surely going to look into improving the box. Did yours arrive dented/damaged in any way?

The SWD debugger is not needed any more as for the dev kit we have included small circuit boards that allow the DUO to be programmed via USB. Updated instructions for programming the dev kit can be found on https://github.com/datomusic/duo-firmware . Please let us know if that does or does not work for you. I hope you can return your debugger or put it to good use in another way.

Anyway, have fun and we’re looking forward to the video.

It was not damaged at all, I’m happy to say.

I was able to follow the instructions up to uploading the .io file - I got this error:
Arduino: 1.6.12 (Mac OS X), TD: 1.31, Board: “Teensy 3.2 / 3.1, Serial, 72 MHz optimize speed, US English”

In file included from /Users/David/duo-firmware/src/src.ino:64:0:
/var/folders/nq/kcc1xtvx0rb6731hv_62gc040000gn/T/arduino_build_817188/sketch/MidiFunctions.h:3:18: fatal error: MIDI.h: No such file or directory
 #include <MIDI.h>
                  ^
compilation terminated.
Error compiling for board Teensy 3.2 / 3.1.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

However, the synthesizer and sequencer seem to work just fine. I haven’t tested with MIDI.
EDIT: I have tested with MIDI. The sequencer is driving a Makenoise 0-Coast synthesizer and it’s tracking perfectly.
EDIT 2: The unit doesn’t power on when plugged into the mains with the supplied USB-to-two-prong adapter. But it will run when plugged into the USB of the computer (rear USB on 2016 iMac). And it emits a great deal of high-frequency noise at the output in that case.
If I use a 5V 500mA adapter, the high-frequency noise comes out of the speaker, but the headphone output is clean.
EDIT 3: I found a 5V 1500mA adapter and it works well without the high-frequency noise, in the mains. Problem solved. The supplied adapter is 2A. I don’t know if the adapter was faulty or if 2A is too much (?)

Thanks for reporting this. It’s really helpful that you are writing down all your findings. Did you manage to get MIDI working by copying the libraries/MIDI file to the right location?

The power situation is strange, as we have tested all adapters before they went into the box. Could you try powering the Dato DUO with the supplied adapter and no other cables attached? And could you double check the attachment of the two-prong adapter section to the adapter body?

It might be a combination of issues. How would you describe the loudness of ‘a great deal of high-frequency noise’? Is it audible over any sounds played by the DUO, or only when everything is quiet? We know the speaker emits a bit too much noise when everything else is quiet – that is something we are working on. But it should definitely not be audible when a sound is playing.

1. I did not do anything more with the code that failed. MIDI just works - it seemed to be a mis-match between MIDI.h and what was actually in the code (which was MidiFunctions.h - then again, I have no idea how this stuff works and I was just following directions.
  2. I tried the adapter with no other cables attached. I double-checked the fit of the pronged piece to the body. Finally, I tried connecting it to my iPhone via USB and it did not initiate charging. When I have time I might try a continuity test, but for now, I’m assuming it’s not working.
  3. The sound is definitely audible over sounds made by the DUO - but this sound is combined with the synthesizer sound ONLY when plugged into the USB port of my iMac (which is USB 3.0 and should be 900mA). I have attached a clip of it. duo_hum.bin (735.8 KB)
    Change the extension of the file to .wav (it wouldn’t let me upload a wav file).
  4. The beginning of the note has an unattractive “click” to it every few notes (not regular) - it is on every note at higher tempos. I can document that, too, but I’ll leave that for another time :slight_smile:
  1. We really love issues that solve themselves :slight_smile: I’ll keep an eye on this, though.

2. Looks like something is wrong with your adapter. We only test them with a European 2-prong on 230V but will test them on 110V as well. I’ll get in touch with you via email to send you a replacement adapter.

3. This is the hum we are hearing in our prototypes as well. It’s high on our priority list.

4. Improving the sound of the envelopes is also high on our list.

Thanks again for all these reports. Keep them coming! Hopefully, the other Dev Kit backers will chime in shortly.

Thanks for splitting the thread.

Here’s a video of a couple of kids playing the Duo. It’s unlisted on YouTube. I’m happy to make it public, but I didn’t know if you want to fly low until it’s in production.

That’s awesome! They are really rocking the DUO.

There’s no need to keep it secret so you can make it public if you want.

On the control side (with the sliders) - what will the two strips at the bottom control? I assume they’re touch strips.
One thing I noticed when my child plays with the Duo with friends is that they turn it around a lot and they play on each others’ “sides.” Just an observation - no suggestion of an improvement there.

Your assumption is correct. The two strips are touch strips that will control the drum synth. Unfortunately, we couldn’t include that in the Dev Kit yet. We’ll present more on the drum synth in our February Kickstarter update scheduled for next week.